Video Game Production Tax Credit (VGPTC)
Article Act 84 of 2016 (Article XVII-D, the Entertainment Production Tax Credit) authorizes the issuances of Video Game Production Tax Credit to expand the video gaming production in Pennsylvania.
Recipients of an Video Game Production Tax Credit may use the tax credit to offset their Pennsylvania state liability or sell, assign, or transfer the credits to another entity.
It is restricted to Video Game Production Company and designed to attract investment in the commonwealth by awarding tax credits for production expenses incurred by video game production companies.
Credits may be awarded for up to 25 percent of qualified expenses in the first four years of production and 10 percent for each year thereafter per taxpayer per fiscal year. The budget allocation is $1 million a year beginning in the 2017-18 fiscal year.
Please refer to the program guidelines for additional information on eligibility.
Applications will be accepted no sooner than 180 days prior to the start date in the Commonwealth.
Only applications with verifiable documentation that at least 70% of the financing for the Video Game Production Tax Credit has been secured and the remaining amount will be secured prior to the planned Start Date in the Commonwealth.
How to Apply
Applicants must complete the online Electronic Single Application (add web address) available at dced.pa.gov and submit all required information and documentation as specified in the program guidelines.
Video Game Production Tax Credit (VGPTC) Guidelines
- Appendix A – Legislation
- Appendix B – Overall Video Game Production Allocation Form
- Appendix C – Video Game Production Tax Credit Application
- Appendix D – Production Year Budget Top Sheet
- Appendix E – Instructions on Completing the Single Application
- Appendix F – Monthly Reporting Form
- Appendix G – Economic Impact Report
- Appendix H – Pennsylvania Vendor/Subcontractor Report
- Appendix I – Final Employees Form
- Appendix J – Acknowledgements and Logo
- Appendix K – Assignment Application
- Appendix L – Third Party Agent Consent Form
- Appendix M – Video Game Production Tax Credit Claim Form
No assistance shall be awarded to a Qualified Taxpayer under this program unless the Qualified Taxpayer certifies that the Qualified Taxpayer shall not discriminate against any employee or against any person seeking employment by reason of race, gender, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or in violation of the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, which provides discrimination on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, age, sex, national origin, handicap or disability, or in violation of any applicable federal laws.