Community Planning

Community Planning and Development

Pennsylvania is “Growing Smarter.” Within the PA Department of Community & Economic Development (DCED), the Governor’s Center for Local Government Services serves as a resource for local government officials, developers and citizens interested in planning to improve, grow and enhance communities. It provides valuable tools that will support wise land use decisions and encourage economic development, a healthy environment and strong communities.

Technical Assistance

The Governor’s Center for Local Government Services provides technical assistance on a variety of planning, land use, and development matters to planning commissions, zoning officers, zoning hearing boards, and other local government officials. Contact the Planning Team today to start the conversation. Click a region on the map below to see the contact information for that specific county or submit a Formal Request for Assistance.

Municipal Assistance Program (MAP) Funding

DCED provides funding to local governments for community planning through the Municipal Assistance Program (MAP). Funding supports multi-municipal, regional, and county planning and implementation efforts, including TRID studies. Access the Municipal Assistance Program (MAP) guidelines for more information.

State Land Use and Growth Management Reports

The Governor’s Center for Local Government Services is required to prepare a State Land Use and Growth Management Report every five years. These reports include information, data, and conclusions regarding growth and development patterns in Pennsylvania, as well as recommendations for coordination of executive action and programs among Commonwealth agencies.

Pennsylvania State Planning Board

The State Planning Board is an advisory board within the Governor’s Office. It was established by the Administrative Code of 1929 as re-enacted and amended. There are 25 members, including citizens, legislators and state department heads.

Planning Team Assistance Contacts

Click on each region to see the contact information for your specific county or call the Statewide Planner, Jessica Trimble, at 717.720.7379.

Back To Top