Created by the Department of Community & Economic Development and made available through the Workforce and Economic Development Network of Pennsylvania – WEDnetPA – the program provides qualified employers training funds for new and existing employees. WEDnetPA is a unique, collaborative partnership of community colleges, state system universities and other educational institutions working together to be responsive to the needs of Pennsylvania’s business community. See WEDnetPA website for the most current and complete list of WEDnetPA Partners.
Funding can be used for a wide range of incumbent worker training. The training must be skill-building for employee’s current job or for an advancement or promotion.
- Employees to be trained must be residents of and employed in Pennsylvania.
- Employees to be trained must earn at least $12 federal minimum wage, excluding benefits.
- Employees to be trained must be permanent, full-time employees and eligible for full-time benefits.
- An individual employee can qualify for up to $2,000 in job skills training.
- Company participation is limited to two years in a row and three out of the past five years.
- Training must occur from July 1 to June 30 of the fiscal year of the funding award.
How to Apply
Companies can apply through WEDnetPA’s flexible and easy-to-use online application system at WEDnetPA website. Program guidelines are available to view at the link above or by visiting the WEDnet website. Contact information for WEDnetPA Partners and the statewide WEDnetPA office can also be found on the website.
The program is also referred to as Guaranteed Free Training Program or GFT.