DCED Approves $5.3 Million in Community Development Block Grants for Projects in 19 Counties
Author: Dan Carrigan
Harrisburg, PA – Department of Community and Economic Development Secretary Dennis Davin today announced the approval of $5.3 million in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding for projects in Armstrong, Blair, Cameron, Clinton, Elk, Fayette, Jefferson, Lackawanna, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Monroe, Pike, Schuylkill, Tioga, Venango, Warren, Wayne, and Westmoreland counties.
“For many communities every bit of funding helps with addressing a number of issues, including blight,” Davin said. “It is imperative that we continue to effectively channel these funds to where they are needed so communities can make improvements that will help make them stronger.”
The following municipalities were recently approved for funding through the CDBG program:
- $274,500 to be used in the City of Parker, Armstrong County for the purchase of a new fire apparatus, and the purchase and installation of security cameras at Phillips Municipal Park.
- $147,272 to be used in Logan Township, Blair County for housing rehabilitation, demolition of blighted properties, and improving accessibility for persons with disabilities in Greenwood Park.
- $204,409 to be used in Cameron County for improvements to the Northern Tier Community Action Corporation building and the Emporium Senior Center, rehabilitation of a home, and demolition of blighted properties.
- $225,548 to be used in Clinton County to acquire a 2.3-acre property in the City of Lock Haven that will be developed for subsidized senior housing.
- $274,500 to be used in the City of St. Marys, Elk County for the removal and replacement of deteriorated sewer lines, and road improvements.
- $274,500 to be used in the City of Connellsville, Fayette County for road reconstruction, sidewalk reconstruction, replacement of tennis courts, and code enforcement.
- $234,020 to be used in Jefferson County for street improvements in the Village of DeLancey, storm sewer improvements in the Sykesville Borough.
- $97,191 to be used in Punxsutawney Borough, Jefferson County for street improvements.
- $274,500 to be used in the City of Carbondale, Lackawanna County for the creation of a new city splash park, and code enforcement.
- $274,500 to be used in the City of New Castle, Lawrence County for the installation of curb ramps to increase the accessibility for persons with disabilities, demolition of blighted properties, and code enforcement.
- $274,500 to be used in the City of Bradford, McKean County for housing rehabilitation, demolition of blighted properties, and streetscape improvements.
- $274,500 to be used in the City of Farrell, Mercer County for code enforcement activities and the demolition of blighted properties.
- $333,900 to be used in Monroe County for housing rehabilitation.
- $127,887 to be used in East Stroudsburg Borough, Monroe County for housing rehabilitation.
- $94,065 to be used in Stroudsburg Borough, Monroe County for street improvements.
- $249,741 to be used in Pike County for housing rehabilitation; textbooks and computer software for the adult literacy program that serves all county residents; additional training to personnel providing counseling and protection for victims of domestic violence; and removal of architectural barriers at public facilities in Porter Township.
- $274,500 to be used in the City of Pottsville, Schuylkill County to demolish a blighted property, sidewalk improvements, and code enforcement.
- $236,399 to be used in Tioga County to replace a water main in the Borough of Tioga; sidewalk replacement in Roseville Borough; and wastewater plant upgrades in Westfield.
- $274,500 to be used in the Oil City, Venango County for demolition of blighted properties, street reconstruction, and make payments on a loan that financed the purchase of a firefighting apparatus.
- $227,836 to be used in Warren County for roadway reconstruction in Eldred Township, and waterline replacement in Sheffield Township.
- $274,500 to be used in the City of New Kensington, Westmoreland County for improvement to JFK Playground, street improvements, demolition of blighted properties, and code enforcement.
- $238,211 to be used in Wayne County for architectural barrier removal at the Wayne County Courthouse; community center and park improvements Mount Pleasant Township; and street improvements in Paupack Township.
- $85,461 to be used in Honesdale Borough, Wayne County for street improvements and the purchase of a fire apparatus.
- $83,806 to be used in Salem Township, Wayne County for street improvements.
The Community Development Block Grant program is federally funded and provides funding for the smaller communities and rural areas of the commonwealth for community development including but not limited to housing rehabilitation, public services, community facilities, infrastructure improvement, development, and planning.
For more information about the CDBG program and other DCED initiatives, visit www.newPA.com.
MEDIA CONTACT: Dan Carrigan, 717-783-1132
# # #